[From 7-8:30 p.m. Tuesday]
Really cool live set from local singer/songwriter and two-time EPAC Idol finalist Amy Hogan. We discussed her music, her inspirations and where she hopes to take her tunes in the future. In between, here’s what she performed:
“The House that Built Me” (Miranda Lambert)
“Mama Tried” / “Mama’s Broken Heart” (Merle Haggard/Miranda Lambert)
“Here’s To Another One” (original song)
“Lost a Lot” (original song)
“End of My Story” (Pistol Annies)
“Hey Ho” (The Lumineers)
“Poison & Wine” (The Civil Wars)
“Home” (Dierks Bentley)
You can learn more about her music on her Facebook page:
or her YouTube channel:
Next week, I’ll interview members of folk band Spuyten Duyvil, which performs March 1 at 6 On The Square in Oxford.
Gorguts- The Battle of Chamdo
The Fall of Troy- F.C.P.R.E.M.I.X.
Foo Fighters- All My Life
Senses Fail- Sick or Sane (50 for a 20)
Beastmilk- The Wind Blows Through Their Skulls
Volcano Choir- Byegone
Animals As Leaders- Tooth and Claw
Idina Menzel- Let It Go
—————————- Pancake at the Disco —————————-
Mastodon – Megalodon (Live at Brixton)
Neurosis – The Doorway
Castevet – Fathomed By Beggars and Victims
St. Vincent – Digital Witness
Wolves in the Throne Room – Thuja Magus Imperium
Deafheaven – Dream House
Chris Played by Charles Berman
1. Name someone whose dead body is on display for the public to view.
2. What is Galumpha?
3. There is a significant movement in favor of adding what right to the Universal Declaration of Human Rights?
4. Why did rich Victorians often buy mummies?
5. Why are the objects used in a play called “props?”
6. What is a tabernacle?
7. Name a fictional character whose name supposedly causes magical or extraordinary things to happen when someone says it.
8. Name another role played by a Doctor Who actor.
9. Why was the “Flappy Bird” smartphone application withdrawn?
10. The main character in K-Pax was supposed to come from what planet?
11. Name something frequently taught in schools which is incorrect.
12. What classic rock song started as a vocal warmup?
13. Please describe the plot of “Finnegan’s Wake.”
14. Please describe the plot of “The Nose.”
15. Why was Leopold II of Belgium often considered to have been a bad king?
16. In the old west, what was a cowboy’s actual job?
17. What famous person is widely thought to have been blind even though there is no evidence for this?
18. What is the most-recognized word in the world?
19. What is strabismus?
20. In what film did Alfred Hitchcock include a long, violent fight in order to show how hard it is to kill a person?
21. Tell us how to say our phone number in a new language.
22. How did Rich David get so rich?
23. Nme something only one of us has read/heard/seen.
24. Why should you win?
25. Heads or tails?
26. What could you do to a legal pad that would make it illegal?
Doc Sonic’s questions:
Alibi is latin for what?
How many colored numbered billiard balls are there on a standard billiard table?
What is the world’s second largest country?
Perry White is the editor in chief of what fictional newspaper?
On the Simpsons, before Ned Flanders opened the “Leftorium” what was his job?
What author coined the term “Robotics”?
According to the Viking calendar, when will Ragnarok occur?
1. What is the world’s smallest mammal?
2. What is the monetary value of the elements making up the average sized human body?
3. What is Dizzy Gillespie’s real name?
4. Which state produces all of the granite used in Arlington National Cemetery headstones?
5. Who is the president of South Africa?
6. In Apr 205, Green Day played Binghamton University of the “American Idiot” tour. Who was the opening act?
Bonus: What happened to the fans in line before the convert started?
7. On the classic TV show BJ & the Bear what was “the Bear?”
8. Name any of the seven people considered honorary Harlem Globetrotters.
9. What is the most common type of wood used in making pencils?
10. MH2GC presents the riddle of the week: “What do Eskimos get from sitting on iceberg too long?”
Grateful Dead – Ripple
Muddy Waters – Got My Mojo Working (Pt I & II)
Bon Iver – Blood Bank
Grateful Dead – Franklin’s Tower
Fleetwood Mac – Rhiannon
Harper Blynn – Halo (Beyonce Cover)
Bon Iver – Re Stacks
Neil Young – The Needle and The Damage Done
Nick Drake – Place To Be
Iron and Wine – Radio War
Rustie – Slasherr (Elaski Remix)
Disclosure – January (Kaytranada Edition)
Bipolar Sunshine – Drowning Butterflies (We The Wild Remix)
Storm Queen – Look Right Through (MK Dub III)
Hippie Sabotage – Stay High (Tove Lo Flip)
Beyonce – Drunken Love (Diplo Remix)
Toyboy & Robin – Jaded
Duke Dumont – Need U (100%)
Yeah, I’ll be honest, this week I’m not really trying. If it sounds good, well, I’m slick like that.
Here’s to all this snow melting and going away.
Lou Reed & John Cale – Work
Lou Reed – A Gift
The Everly Brothers – All I Have To Do Is Dream
Bob Dylan – Mr. Tambourine Man
Donovan – To Susan On The West Coast Waiting
Gary Wilson – Cindy
The Strokes – Reptilia
Interpol – Obstacle 1
Regina Spektor & The Strokes – Modern Girls & Old Fashioned Men
The Velvet Underground – Pale Blue Eyes
Syd Barrett – No Good Trying
Ween – Object
The Smiths – William, It Was Really Nothing
The Smiths – How Soon Is Now
The Velvet Underground – Murder Mystery
The Velvet Underground – The Gift
Lou Reed – Kicks
Artist: Song (Album)
1. The CO: Frequency (Keep it Together)
2. Gardens and Villa: Bullet Train (Dunes)
3. We Do This: Static (Farady Wave)
4. The Deadmen: Old Stone Bridge (The Deadmen EP)
5. No: There’s A Glow (El Prado)
6. Perfect Thyroid: Pear-o-noya (Musical Barnacles)
7. Neil Finn: Better than TV (Dizzy Heights)
8. Guided By Voices: Vote for Me Dummy (Motivational Jumpsuit)
9. Jungle Giants: She’s a Riot (She’s a Riot)
10. Arctic Monkeys: Teddy Picker (20 from 20)
11. U.S. Royalty: Into the Thicket (Blue Sunshine)
12. John and Sylvia Embry: Early Time Blues (Trouble)
13. Holy Wave: Psychological Thriller (Relax)
14. Les Claypool’s Duo de Twang: Stayin’ Alive (Four Foot Shack)
15. Skaters: I Wanna Dance (But I Don’t Know How) (Manhattan)
16. Stephen Malkmus and the Jicks: Chartjunk (Wig out at the Jagbags)
17. Book Burners: Quick (People’s Songs)
18. Joe Louis Walker: Love Enough (Hornet’s Nest)
19. Sweet Soubrette: Rock Paper Scissors (Burning City)
20. Vinyl Thief: Slow Down (Stop Motion)
21. Tales in Space: Shades (Shades EP)
22. Jep and Dep: Wake Up Call (Through the Night)
23. The Melismatics: Halo (Rising Tide)
24. Sam Roberts Band: Shapeshifter (Lo-Fantasy)
25. Frank Turner: I Am Disappeared (England Keep My Bones)
26. The Supplement: Soul System (Step Up From Zero)
27. The Fugitives: Wilderness Years (Everything Will Happen)
28. Bears and Motorcycles: Masquerade (Bears and Motorcycles EP)
29. Bob Dylan: Tombstone Blues (The Best of the Original Mono Recordings)
30. The Black Keys: Set You Free (20 from 20)