[From 7 to 10 p.m. Tuesday]
The spring break edition of The Signal meant back-to-back great interviews tonight.
First up was local musician James Osterhout to discuss the new Idiomatic Desecrators album “Hit the Honky.” You can download the album free at http://reverbnation.com/desicrator1 – here are the tracks we could play within FCC rules.
“We Smoked the Crack”
“A Speedy Fest”
“She’s My Dead Girlfriend” (see the video here: http://youtube.com/watch?v=Nh-8xmb6XGQ)
Then jazz drummer John Hollenbeck – a Binghamton native and three-time Grammy nominee – stopped by to talk about his career with the Claudia Quintet and the John Hollenbeck Large Ensemble as well as his new album of jazz-arranged pop tunes called “Songs I Like A Lot” (a collaboration with the Frankfurt Radio Big Band). The John Hollenbeck Large Ensemble performs April 5 at the Goodwill Theatre in Johnson City (www.goodwilltheatre.net).
Here’s what we played:
“Wichita Lineman” (from “Songs I Like A Lot”)
“Bicycle Race” (from “Songs I Like A Lot”)
“Canvas” (from “Songs I Like A Lot”)
“Falling Man” (Grammy-nominated tune by John from “Shut Up And Dance” album and performed by Orchestre National de Jazz)
“Job” – Claudia Quintet
“Rainy Days/Peanut Vendor Mash-up” – Claudia Quintet
“Man of Constant Sorrow” (from “Songs I Like A Lot”)
Learn more about John at johnhollenbeck.com.
Don’t have a guest or a plan for next Tuesday’s show. Maybe I’ll just play some of the cool new music I’ve heard lately. Tune in to see what I come up with.
MIKE MIGGITY MIKE MIKE McMIKE on the MICFamous Uncles of TV/Cinema (character and actor who played) a.) Actor who played this jokester-Uncle, dated fellow Canadian singer Alanis Morrissette and became the subject of the song “You Oughta Know” b.) Also played by a Canadian, noted for his loud car, oversized pancakes, and tobacco habits c.) The actor who played this successful uncle also did the voice for Shredder on Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles. d.) This uncle performed his own hit single “Forever” with the Beach Boys. e.) This wacky uncle really loved to laugh, but battled with equally powerful separation anxiety.
Chris Played by Charles Berman
1. Name someone who has directed and starred in the same movie.
-For two points, someone who did that and also wrote the script.
-For three points, someone who did those and also composed the music.
2. Name someone who has played The Master in Doctor Who.
3. What famous novelist was known as “The Master?”
4. How do you become a Freemason?
5. Name something you are not allowed to do on Facebook.
6. In what state is the larger Johnson City?
7. What is the Alienation Effect?
8. Name someone who was blacklisted in the McCarthy Era.
Bonus – Name someone who was a Communist in the McCarthy Era but successfully kept it secret.
9. What film was made with a script from a first-time screenwriter after screenplays by David Mamet and Harold Pinter were rejected?
10. When people put gas into cars, why does it appear to be a liquid?
11. What is the difference between a transitive and intransitive verb?
12. Who was Prester John?
13. In Japan, it is traditional to go to what restaurant on Christmas?
14. Why is an MC sometimes called a ringmaster?
15. What is both a town in New York and a fictional country in a comedy movie?
16. Why do very few cleaning products contain both bleach and ammonia?
17. In what decade did the first science fiction magazine come out?
-What was it called?
18. Who hosted Jeopardy in the 1980s?
19. When does the rest of the world celebrate Labour Day?
20. What popular musical is scored for only harp and piano?
21. For 400 points, prove the existence of God.
22. Name something only one of us has read, heard, or seen.
23. Make up a game show. Point if we like it.
24. Heads or tails?
From where is the term “the whole nine yards” derived?
What was the first show to allow a toilet to be aired on television?
What is the only state who’s name is only one syllable long?
For what President was the Blueberry Jelly Bean invented?
List the 7 deadly sins.
List the 7 virtues.
List the 7 Dwarfs
Pick Up The Panel.
TOM TOMMITY TOM TOM McTOM on the TOMS
What does the acronym MIDI stand for?
Where is the nation’s oldest operating carousel located?
Name the parasite that comes from the common house cat that causes humans to like cats more.
Which NBA team ended the ’71-72 Los Angeles Lakers 33 game winning streak?
Which U.S. President has the most parks named after him?
Doc Sonic’s questions:
What member of The Doobie Brothers is also counter terrorism consultant to the pentagon?
What country has experienced the most “coup’s d’etat”?
What is SPAM (the canned meat product) an abbreviation of?
Which state consumes the most SPAM?
According to the films’ director Luc Besson, what is the fifth element?
William Beckford is known for having built what building over a thirty year period of time, which collapsed in 1825.
How tall was this building?
Horace Walpole is generally attributed with popularizing what style of architecture?
The popular series of children’s books by Arthur Lobel feature what two characters?
What is a red card?
In 1557, what did European doctors recommend to combat bad breath and cancer?
What is a dingle-dodie?
Who coined the term dingle-dodie?
What’s a tragus?
From which county did the first documented bank notes come?
Artist: Song (Album)
1. The Beatles: Rocky Raccoon (White Album)
2. Restorations: D (LP2)
3. Neil Young: Psychedelic Pill (Psychedelic Pill)
4. Jerry Douglas with Mumford and Sons and Paul Simon: The Boxer (Traveler)
5. Wilson Pickett: Hey Jude (Skydog: the Duane Allman Retrospective)
6. Frank Turner: Photosynthesis (Love, Ire and Song)
7. Bo Diddley: I’m a Man (16: Bo Diddley’s All-Time Greatest Hits)
8. Wax Idols: When it Happens (Desire)
9. Richard Thompson: Stuck on the Treadmill (Electric)
10. Rolling Stones: It’s Only Rock and Roll (But I Like It) (It’s Only Rock and Roll)
11. Band of Horses: Electric Music (Mirage Rock)
12. Alan Wilson: On the Road Again (The Blind Owl)
13. Hidden Towers: Son of the Dragon (Olympus Mons)
14. Woodpigeon: Children Should Be Seen and Not Heard (Thumbtacks and Glue)
15. The Stranglers: Get a Grip on Yourself (Rattus Norvegicus)
16. James Montgomery Band featuring DMC: Who do You Love? (From Detroit…to the Delta)
17. Jimi Hendrix: Mojo Man (People, Hell and Angels)
18. Telekinesis: Empathetic People (Dormarion)
19. Doctor John: Right Place, Wrong Time (In the Right Place)
20. Charles Bradley: Love Bug Blues (Victim of Love)
21. Broadway Calls: Stealing Sailboats (Comfort Distraction)
22. Kirsty MacColl: Walking Down Madison (Johnny Marr and Friends: Solo Works and Sessions)
23. Steve Martin and Edie Brickell: King of Boys (Love Has Come for You)
24. The Gray Havens: Gray Flowers (Where Eyes Don’t Go)
25. Robert “Top” Thomas: YeeHaw Junction (The Town Crier)
26. The Veils: Dancing with the Tornado (Time Stays, We Go)
27. They Might Be Giants: You’re on Fire (Nanobots)
28. Kait Lawson: Place in the Ground (Until We Drown)
29. Bad Religion: Dharma and the Bomb (True North)
30. Teenage Kicks: Setting Son (Be on My Side)