[From 7-8:30 p.m. Tuesday]
Really awesome show tonight with fellow DJ Brian McKinley finally getting to interview rock singer/songwriter Reid Paley (after Brian saw him perform with Black Francis of the Pixies in Ithaca). Afterward, Brian played some of his tunes, and Doc Sonic stopped by to join the discussion of music, Manhattan traffic and more. Here’s what was played:
“Ugly Life” – Paley & Francis
“Surprise” – Reid Paley
“No Regrets” – The Five (Paley’s old band)
“Deconstructed” – Paley & Francis
“Same to Me” – The Five
If you want to know more about Paley, go online to www.reidpaley.com.
Then, after the extensive roundup of events happening around the region this weekend, I fit a couple of tracks from the new David Bowie release “The Next Day”: “The Stars (Are Out Tonight)” and “How Does the Grass Grow?” I’m sure I’ll play more of the album in subsequent weeks.
Next Tuesday, I’ll chat with members of cool Australian band The Falls (musicfromthefalls.com) about their new EP, “Hollywood.” Don’t miss it.
CHRIS PLAYED BY CHARLES BERMAN
1. What is the number for the police?
2. What kind of fish does McDonald’s use in the Filet-O-Fish?
3. Name someone who has played God.
4. What is the actual main ingredient in most modern oatmeal?
5. Many of the greatest Egyptian artifacts are in the British Museum rather than anywhere in Egypt. Why?
6. Who decides the winners of the Academy Award?
7. What is both a vacuum cleaner and a dam?
8. NASA scientists have observed something called the Vomit Comet. What is it?
9. How do people with long handlebar moustaches get them to keep their shape?
10. What is tofu made of?
11. When Ricky was supposedly speaking Spanish on “I Love Lucy,” what language was he actually speaking?
12. Name a city and what its system of underground rapid train transport is called.
13. What is the difference between a phallus and a fallacy?
14. Name an English word with an irregular plural.
15. How do you tell a men’s hat from a ladies’ hat?
16. In what country were people charged a beard tax?
17. Please describe the plot of The Metamorphosis by Franz Kafka.
18. What do bald eagles have on their heads instead of hair?
19. What is natural philosophy?
20. What common ingredient in cigarettes is also very frequently found in throat lozeneges?
21. Please describe Kazimir Malevich’s painting “Black Square.”
22. How does the Kyrie from Mozart’s requiem go?
23. Name something only one of us has read, heard, or seen.
24. Make up a game show. Point if we like it.
25. Heads or tails?
1. How tall was Napoleon?
2. How many senses do humans have?
3. What was the life expectancy in the middle ages?
4. Who said, “Well behaved women rarely make history?”
5. What is the forbidden fruit?
6. What color is Mars?
7. There are 50 states in the United States – how many commonwealths are there, and name
8. How long do penguins mate for?
9. Should you wake up a sleepwalker? Why or why not?
10. Who invented the first printing press?
1) What was the first album to sell over 100,000 copies?
2) Who is the only member of ZZ Top that doesn’t have a beard?
3) What is the song “American Pie” written about?
4) What famous band was known by the namesTea Set, Sigma 6, The Screaming Abdabs
and Leonard’s Lodgers before settling on their final name?
5) What does the word “Ringo” mean in Japaneese?
6) Who is the oldest person to ever top the charts?
7) What are the advantages of a Grand Piano over an upright piano?
8) What genre causes termites to eat wood twice as fast as normal?
9) What is carved on Jimi Hendrix’s tomb stone?
10) Bad Genie
11) Bad Superhero
12) Pick up the panel
What is a “tippler’s cane”
What single writer wrote the famous phrases “the great unwashed”, “the pen is mightier than the sword”, “pursuit of the allmighty dollar”, and the famous opening line “It was a dark and stormy night”?
What does a Rabologist do?
What is “Semantic Satiation”?
1.What is the only continent that does not contain any native reptiles?
2.What is Brad Pitt’s real, full name?
3.In the movie Scooby Doo on Zombie Island, what was the name of Daphne’s successful TV show?
4.What is the difference between Coconut Juice and Coconut Milk?
5.What was the first major Hollywood film to show a toilet flushing?
6.What do I tell people my favorite color is? Bonus if you can guess what my actual favorite color is.
Battleflag – Lo Fidelity Allstars
War Pigs – Cake
Please, Please, Please Let Me Get What I Want – Muse
Cards & Quarters – Local Natives
Black Star – Radiohead
Victoria – Jukebox the Ghost
Ghosts in Empty Houses – Jukebox the Ghost
TALES FROM THE SECOND CHANCE BIN
Barbie Dolls With Batteries – Perfect Dilemma (The Horror, The Horror)
I’ll Never Say – Luke Davids (Worth A Listen)
Line of Bones – Hemmingbirds
Float On – Iron Horse
Next To You – The Police
What’s Going On – Marvin Gaye
The Chain – Fleetwood Mac
Seven Nation Army – The White Stripes
Points of Authority – Linkin Park
Dashboard – Modest Mouse
Vertigo – U2
Big Machine – Mark Duplass
40 Days, 40 Fights – Badly Drawn Boy
Come Downstairs and Say Hello – Guster
Thank you for tuning in!
Complainte de la Butte – Rufus Wainwright
Many Rivers to Cross – Jimmy Cliff
Me and Bobby McGee – Janis Joplin
Sweet Disposition – The Temper Trap
Dog Days Are Over – Florence + The Machine
Crosses – WordSmith
Jailhouse Rock – Elvis Presley
The Weight – The Band
Island In The Sun – Weezer
Going Down – Freddie King
Going On – Gnarls Barkley
Rock & Roll – Led Zeppelin
Proud Mary – Ike and Tina Turner
Tutti-Frutti – Little Richard
Soul Bossa Nova – Quincy Jones & His Orchestra
A Little Less Conversation (JXL Radio Edit Remix) – Elvis Presley
Smoke! Smoke! Smoke! (That Cigarette) – Sammy Davis Jr.
Laisse Tomber Les Filles – France Gall
——- Apprentice Mike ——-
Sunday Morning – No Doubt
Johnny Sunshine – Liz Phair
Move Over – Janis Joplin
You Oughta Know – Alanis Morissette
Lonely Boy – The Black Keys
The Cave – Mumford & Sons
“That’s All”- Genesis
“You May Be Right”- Billy Joel
“Rock Wit U”- Ashanti
“Don’t Go Breaking My Heart”- Elton John and Kiki Dee
“Friday I’m In Love”- The Cure
“Stay”- The Four Seasons
“Cupid’s Chokehold”- Gym Class Heroes
“Miss World”- Hole
“We Can Work It Out”- The Beatles
“Like A Virgin”- Madonna
“Bad Reputation”- Joan Jett and The Blackhearts
“Very Ape”- Nirvana
“Night Fever”- The Bee Gees
“Just A Girl (Live/Acoustic)”- No Doubt
“Dearest”- Buddy Holly
“Get Off My Cloud”- The Rolling Stones
“I Won’t Back Down”- Tom Petty and The Heartbreakers
“The Preamble”- School House Rock
“Hey You”- Pink Floyd
“Tears On My Pillow”- from Grease
“Sorry For It All”- Dead Sara
“We Are The World”- USA For Africa
“Dear God”- XTC
“Wolf Like Me”- TV On The Radio
Octopus- Penpal- Post script EP
Bed Bugs- Penpal- Post script EP
The Chain- Fleetwood Mac- Rumours
Never Going Back Again- Fleetwood Mac- Rumours
Rhiannon- Best Coast- Just Tell Me That You Want Me: A Tribute To Fleetwood Mac
Circumambient- Grimes- Visions
Don’t Lie- Abe Vigoda- Reviver EP
Bad Things- Cults- Cults
17- Youth Lagoon- The Year Of Hibernation
Wonder Years- Real Estate- Days
Lightworks- Atlas Sound- Parallax
Parallax- Atlas Sound- Parallax
Monoliths- Lotus Plaza- Spooky Action at a Distance
Gallows Pole- Led Zeppelin- Led Zeppelin III
85- Rilo Kiley- The Initial Friend
Emmylou- First Aid Kit- The Lion’s Roar
Norway- Beach House- Teen Dream
You Still Believe In Me- The Beach Boys- Pet Sounds
If You Still Want Me- Veronica Falls- Waiting For Something To Happen
Shooting Star- Veronica Falls- Waiting For Something To Happen
Broken Toy- Veronica Falls- Waiting For Something To Happen
Year As Lift- Rooftops- A Forest of Polarity
Alter Ego- Tame Impala- Innerspeaker
Ur my bby- Ricky Eat Acid
Artist: Song (Album)
1. Unknown Mortal Orchestra: So Good at Being in Trouble (II)
2. Atlas Genius: If So (When it Was Now)
3. Black Sea Royalty: War Cry (Black Sea Royalty EP)
4. The Mary Onettes: Blues (Hit the Waves)
5. James Montgomery Band: Little Johnny (From Detroit…to the Delta)
6. Pink Floyd: Lucifer Sam (Piper at the Gates of Dawn)
7. The Lovely Bad Things: Fried Eyes (The Late Great Whatever)
8. The The: The Evening Star (Johnny Marr and Friends: Works and Sessions)
9. The Virginmarys: BangBangBang (King of Conflict)
10. Indigo Girls: Galileo (Retrospective)
11. Woodpigeon: Robin Song (Thumbtacks and Glue)
12. Ten Wheel Drive: Stay With me (Brief Replies)
13. Toro Y Moi: Harm in Change (Anything in Return)
14. Death Cab for Cutie: Earth Angel (Stubbs the Zombie Soundtrack)
15. The Reverend Jimmie Bratcher: Tobacco Road (Secretly Famous)
16. Murder By Death: Bang Bang (My Baby Shot Me Down) (single)
17. The Mike Eldred Trio: She’s a Rocket (61/49)
18. Aretha Franklin: Bridge Over Troubled Water (Felicity Soundtrack)
19. Lee Dorsey: Everything I Do Gonna Be Funky From Now On (In Yo’ Face: The Roots of Funk 1/2)
20. X: Burning House of Love (Ain’t Love Grand)
21. Old Man Markley: Blood on My Hands (Down Side Up)
22. The Scarring Party: No More Room in Hell (Come Away from the Light)
23. Israel Kamakawiwo’ole: Somewhere Over the Rainbow/What a Wonderful World (Facing Forward
24. Dawn McCarthy and Bonnie Prince Billy: Breakdown (What the Brothers Sang)
25. Son Volt: Hearts and Minds (Honky Tonk)
26. Tall Tall Trees: Waking the Moon (Moment)
27. Arrogant Worms: Carrot Juice is Murder (Russell’s Shorts)
28. Fairport Convention: Who Knows Where the Time Goes (Unhalfbricking)
29. Krisp: Captn Hook (Mamani Vice EP)