[From 7-10 p.m. Tuesday]
Yes indeed, we play a bit of everything on the Signal, and tonight was a great example.
For the first 75 minutes or so, fellow WHRW DJ Brian McKinley took the wheel to talk about the awesome Black Francis/Reid Paley show he saw at the Haunt in Ithaca over the weekend. We tried to get Reid on the phone for an interview, but that didn’t work out – we’ll keep trying. Here are the tunes he played for that:
“Magic Cup” – Paley & Francis
“Monkey Gone to Heaven” (live in Newport) – the Pixies
“Lazarus of Brooklyn” – Reid Paley
“Headache” – Frank Black
“Wave of Mutilation” – the Pixies
“See You Again” – Reid Paley Trio
“Deconstructed” – Paley & Francis
“Subbacultcha” (demo) – Black Francis
“Ugly Life” – Paley & Francis
“My Boyish Heart” – Reid Paley
“I Burn Today” – Frank Black
“Hey” – the Pixies
“Los Angeles” – Frank Black
“Song of the Shrimp” – Frank Black
Then two nice young ladies from the Black Student Union – Ndeye Niang (public relations coordinator) and Jamila Adams (vice president) – stopped by to discuss the group’s Black History Month events, which culminate with a keynote speech by Joseph Simmons, a.k.a. Rev. Run from hip-hop pioneers Run-D.M.C. We then played a six-pack of Run-D.M.C.:
“King of Rock”
“Walk This Way” (with Aerosmith)
For the last hour, as I’m wont to do, the mood went to twang, soul and singer/songwriter goodness:
“Love Ain’t Easy” – Alexandra and the Starlight Band (NEW)
“The Time I Spend With You” – Brooks Williams
“House Next to the Drive-In” – Chris Trapper
“Man I Used to Be” – Seth Glier (NEW)
“The Dancing Screen” – Nate & Kate
“Nothing Like a Song” – Arlon Bennett (NEW)
“My Miner” – Abi Tapia
“Free to Fall” – Beaucoup Blue
“City Starts to Bloom” – Amber Rubarth
“Last of the Hobo Kings” (live) – Mary Gauthier (NEW)
“Dream in Blue” – the Stray Birds
A selection from the new Robyn Hitchcock album that seemed appropriate for Valentine’s Day: “I Love You.”
And then a Mardi Gras tune to cap things off:
“The Real World” – Ray Davies
I’ll be back at 7 p.m. next Tuesday with Zachary James of Zachary James and the All Seeing Eyes to discuss his new album. It’ll be a cool time for sure.
The Maladroit Renaissance will air on Saturday Mornings from 3 to 5 AM.
First show was held on Wednesday. The songs played were:
“Roll Over Beethoven (Single Version)” – Electric Light Orchestra
“No One Else” – Weezer
“Next Girl” – The Black Keys
“Idioteque” – Radiohead
“Johnny Thunder” – The Kinks
“Long Forgotten Sons” – Rise Against
“It Won’t Be Long” – The Beatles
“Whispers in the Dark (live)” – Mumford & Sons
“All the Girls Love Alice” – Elton John
“Black Sheep” – Metric
“Death Valley ’69 (live)” – Sonic Youth
“Private Cars” – Ross Sea Party
“Piledriver Waltz” – Arctic Monkeys
“So Much for the Afterglow” – Everclear
“Big Waves” – No
“Shake the Sheets” – Ted Leo & the Pharmacists
FINALE: “If Not for You” – George Harrison
Thanks to those who tuned in!
CHRIS PLAYED BY CHARLES BERMAN
1. What major sports team played at Enron Field?
2. Describe the superhero: Extraño, Arm Fall Off Boy, Ibis the Invincible, Uncle Dudley, The Lieutenant Marvels, Kickman.
3. According to the rules of etiquette, how is it inappropriate to shake a person’s hand?
4. What is the difference between a publican and a republican?
5. In the UK recently many people became very excited that a dead body was found in a parking lot. Why?
6. What would you use an ear trumpet for?
7. From Star Trek what are the first names, if applicable, of Kirk, Spock, Chekhov, Sulu, Scott, Uhura, or McCoy.
8. Before teaming with Oscar Hammerstein, Richard Rogers was paired with whom to write musicals?
9. What is the difference between leather and bonded leather?
10. What is both brand of beer and a language?
11. What is Discordianism?
12. Name the state that any of these cities is in: Wahoo, Medicine Hat, Hoboken, Rancho Cucamonga, Truth or Consequences, Nacogdoches, Onacock, Walla Walla, Hell, Nameless, Intercourse, Bad Ax.
13. In the middle ages, many peddlers made a lot of money selling people small worthless pieces of wood at popular destinations. Why did these sell well?
14. What does it mean for a whiskey to be “single malt?”
15. Name a currently-published science fiction magazine.
16. What Nickelodeon show originated the practise of “sliming” people?
17. What can you do with a passport card v. an actual passport?
18. Two of these are not real countries. Which two? The Federated States of Micronesia, The Grand Duchy of Luxembourg, The Plurinational Empire of Oaxaca, The Republic of South Sudan, The Federation of Saint Kitts and Nevis, Georgia, The Sultanate of North Yemen.
19. What is politically correct term for the Canadian equivalent of the United States’ “Native Americans” or Australia’s “Aboriginees?”
20. The United Hatters, Cap, and Millinery Workers International Union is an organization of people who do what?
21. How does the Kyrie from Mozart’s requiem go?
22. Name something only one of us has read, heard, or seen.
23. Heads or tails.
1. What is an otter’s home called?
2. What is the largest squid known to man?
3. How many different types of herring are there?
4. Why is the Boto Dolphin pink?
5. What is the farthest a flying squirrel can fly?
6. What is the world’s smallest mammal?
7. Since Ostriches can’t fly, what do they use their wings for?
8. What does a lion roar sound like before it is two?
9. Which of the following isn’t a lemur – Fork Crowned lemur, Gentle lemur, Fan Tailed
lemur, or Sportive lemur?
10. Should you buy a steel or cast iron anvil? Bonus points if you know why!
1) Vatican City is the smallest country in the world. What is the second smallest?
2) What does the acronym CAPTCHA stand for?
3) Who is the Head of State of Canada?
4) What is the most expensive production car in the world?
5) Describe the difference between a wankle rotary engine and a normal internal combustion
6) What company was recently named Major Publisher of the Year by the website Metacritic,
sparking contorversy in the gaming community?
7) How many Big MAcs would it take to equate to the 2000 calories a day recomended by the FDA?
8) Many know that James Earl Jones was the iconic voice of Darth Vader, but who was the film
actor that mainly portrayed him?
9) When was the last time that a Canadian Hockey team won the Stanley Cup?
10) What is the Red Hairring’s favorite color? Explain.
1. Which state’s motto partially shares its name with an entry in the Die Hard film series?
2. What is a doodle sack?
3. Name a country that has invented something commonly referred to by the same name as the country itself.
4. What do Tony Mendez (portrayed in the 2012 film Argo) and Dana Carvey (SNL comedian) have in common?
5. If you were to die of tyrotoxism, what would your death record read?
6. In the film Adaptation, Nicolas Cage plays two characters, one of which exists in real life and in fact wrote the film. Name the other character.
7. What was the profession of the man who invented the electric chair?
8. Actor Keanu Reeves played bass in what ‘90s grunge band?
9. How many moves did the longest tournament chess game take?
10. In which country is French Island National Park located?
(! Name three things that are not Jackie Chan.)
What is unique about the music played at Moe’s Southwestern Grill?
Where do Italics get their name?
Johnny Appleseed, was he real or fictional?
Why is 13 a baker’s dozen?
If a month begins on a Sunday what else will happen during that month?
What color skin to tigers have under their fur?
What building has hosted the World Series, the Super Bowl and the NCAA final four?
How much did J.R.R. Tolkien sell the movie rights of Lord Of The Rings For?
Artist: Song (Album)
1. The Stereofidelics: Stay Awake (Dynamite Fist)
2. Run-DMC: Walk this Way (Greatest Hits, 1983-1993)
3. David Byrne and St. Vincent: Who (Love This Giant)
4. Hugh Laurie: They’re Red Hot (Let Them Talk)
5. Skyline Pigeons: Get Up (House of Mysteries)
6. Jerry Douglas: On a Monday (Traveler)
7. The Neighborhood Bullies: Fighter Not a Lover (The Neighborhood Bullies EP)
8. The Joy Formidable: Cholla (Wolf’s Law)
9. Hey Ocean!: If I Were A Ship (Is)
10. David Gilmour: All Lovers Are Deranged (About Face)
11. Shilohs: Little Valentine (So Wild)
12.Midnight Spin: Lion Run (Don’t Let Me Sleep)
13. Besnard Lakes: You Make Loving Fun (Rumours Revisited)
14. Gogol Bordello: Rebellious Love (Trans-Continental Hustle)
15. The Delta Saints: Liar (Death Letter Jubilee)
16. Duncan Sheik: Embraceable You (Red Hot and Rhapsody)
17. Capital Cities: Patience Gets Us Nowhere Fast (Capital Cities EP)
18. Sixpence None the Richer: Wayfaring Stranger (the Village)
19. Dropkick Murphys: Between a Man and a Woman (Float)
20. Bruce Springsteen: Atlantic City (Essential Bruce Springsteen)
21. The Nowherenauts: Hideaway (Warned You)
22. Bad Religion: Stranger Than Fiction (Punk Rock Songs)
23. Neville Brothers: Voo Doo (Louisiana Gumbo)
24. Buke and Gase: Cyclopean (General Dome)
25. The Growlers: Burden of the Captain (Hung at Heart)
26. Ariel and the Undertow: Lovely Girl (Ariel and the Undertow)
27. What Made Milwaukee Famous: Gone and Done it Now (You Can’t Fall off the Floor)
28. Satellite: Brooklyn (Calling Birds)
29. Cold War Kids: Miracle Mile (single)
30. Dorian Wood: La Cara Infinita (Rattle Rattle)
31. The Steeldrivers: I’ll Be There (Hammer Down)
32. DRGN King: Wild Night (Paragraph Nights)