[From 7 to 8:30 p.m. Tuesday]
My tribute to late, great folk singer Richie Havens was to play his full concert from SUNY-Binghamton on April 22, 1982 – exactly 31 years before his death. Here was the setlist:
“Nobody Left To Crown”
“Tupelo Honey”/“Just Like A Woman”
“What About Me”
“License To Kill”
“Things I Used To Do”
“13 People Left In The World”/“Freedom”
My thanks to the nameless bootlegger who plugged into the soundboard that night and captured this one for posterity – and, of course, my eternal gratitude to Richie for so many great years of music.
Next Tuesday at 7 p.m., I’ll interview Joshua Hanson of folk/rock band Yellow Red Sparks about their new self-titled debut album.
1. There is a list of the 9 oddest things used to rob a bank. What are they? [1 point each]
2. Who would win in a fight: a giant squid or Godzilla?
3. Pirates or ninjas?
4. Name a famous figure that married their first cousin.
How much is a sawbuck?
What is the difference between a “disc” and a “disk”?
What is a Backronym?
What is normal body temperature in centigrade?
Which of the following is the name of an actual band?
Flaming Pie Shop, Dark Side Of The Spoon, The Bourbon Tabernacle Choir.
-Mike Miggity Mike-Mike Mike McMike Mike on the Mic Wut?
1. Red light plus green light = ???
2. Spoiler Alert: Who framed Roger Rabbit?
3. Famous Uncles of TV/Cinema (character and actor who played)
a.) The actor who played this successful uncle also did the voice for Shredder on Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles. He had a great appreciation for classical music but couldn’t stand Jazz.
b.) This wacky uncle really “Loved to Laugh” due to his 'uplifting’ sense of humor, but battled with equally powerful separation anxiety.
4. What is the term for a word that is named after the sound produced by the concept it describes.
BONUS – How is it spelled (I-T is not an acceptable answer)
5. Give an example for question #4.
6. What non-human animal would one of the panelists be and why?
7. What five elemental powered are required to summon Captain Planet?
8. What is the 4-letter designation for the radio station on which Mad Trivia Party is aired?
9. In the board game “GO”, what has to happen (within the rules of the game) for a piece to be removed from the board?
CHRIS PLAYED BY CHARLES BERMAN
1. What is both a profession and a food?
2. How does one record chess moves?
3. Why is ranch dressing called “ranch?”
4. Who originally did the voice of Mickey Mouse?
5. Russians are considered much more likely than Americans to believe in the City of Yoshkar-Ola in the Republic of Mari-El. Why?
6. In the 19th century, the US government included a horse in every equestrian statue that it had built. Why?
7. Who is Slartibartfast?
8. Why does the financial news in the UK mention the term “footsie” so often?
9. Describe the plot of anything by Harold Pinter.
10. Why were the Navajos considered especially important in World War II?
11. What was Yogi Berra’s real first name?
Bonus: Quote a Yogi-ism.
12. When wales were commonly hunted at sea, what were they used for once dead?
13. British pounds are divided into 100 what?
14. What is considered to be the reason that no American has ever won the Nobel Prize for Mathematics?
15. What makes chardonnay different from riesling?
16. What two people starred in a long series of movies whose titles all started with “The Road to…?”
Bonus: Name one.
17. What is a botnet?
18. Name another former British colony and the decade in which it became an independent country.
19. In Doctor Who, the Doctor is often heard instructing someone to “reverse the polarity of the neutron flow.” Why is this impossible?
20. What is Pope Benedict XVI’s current title?
21. Name something only one of us has read, heard, or seen.
22. Make up a game show. Point if we like it.
23. Heads or tails?
Name a writer who translated him- or herself?
The Legend of the Invisible City of Kitezh and of the Maiden Fevronya by Nikolay Andreyevich Rimsky-Korsakov is a well-known opera. What is it called and who wrote it?
What is the difference between an translator and an interpreter?
Describe the flavor of something none of us has tasted.
Another Nail In My Heart – Squeeze
Time To Pretend – MGMT
Where Is My Mind? – I’m Not A Pilot
My Body – Young the Giant
Tap Out – The Strokes
Airport Song – Guster
Hang Me Up to Dry – Cold War Kids
Gone – Ben Folds
TALES FROM THE SECOND CHANCE BIN
Gentleman – Kim Logan (Vindicated)
Mess – Supergloo (Vindicated)
Our Forever Is Now – The River Has Many Voices (Worth A Listen)
Damn These Vampires – The Mountain Goats
It Goes On and On – The Avett Brothers
Everything In Its Right Place – Radiohead
DJ ANGO’S PICKS
Stone Free – Jimi Hendrix
Immigraniada (We Comin’ Rougher) – Gogol Bordello
Ode To My Family – The Cranberries
Night Train – Guns & Roses
Under The Bridge – Gym Class Heroes
The Authority Song – Jimmy Eat World
Under Pressure – David Bowie & Queen
“Walking Alone”- Green Day
“Mr. Sandman”- The Chordettes
“Paradise By The Dashboard Light”- Meatloaf
“Golden Slumbers”- The Beatles
“Grease”- Frankie Valli
“Different People”- No Doubt
“I Love You 5 Times”- The Darkness
“Smooth Criminal”- Michael Jackson
“Face To Face”- Dead Sara
“Every Morning”- Sugar Ray
“BYOB”- System Of A Down
“The Vampires of New York”- Marcy Playground
“Rich Girl”- Hall and Oates
“In Bloom”- Nirvana
“Im Wild About That Thing”- Bessie Smith
“Sunny Afternoon”- The Kinks
“A Moment of Violence”- Streetlight Manifesto
“Stacy’s Mom”- Fountains of Wayne
“Go Ask Alice”- Jefferson Airplane
“I Love Rock and Roll”- Joan Jett and The Blackhearts
“No Surprises”- Radiohead
“Before Your Very Eyes”- Atoms For Peace
“Harrowdown Hill”- Thom Yorke
Artist: Song (Album)
1. Moon Duo: Sleep Walker (Echoes: A Compendium of Modern Psychedelia)
2. Crime and the City Solution: Riven Man (American Twilight)
3. Paul Revere and the Raiders: Just Like Me (Pop Classics of the 60s)
4. Arthur “Big Boy” Crudup: The Woman I Love (Sunny Road)
5. Eternal Fair: Static Youth (The Horse that Carries the Wheel)
6. Bleached: Next Stop (Ride Your Heart)
7. The Undertones: It’s Gonna Happen (Live from the European Theater)
8. David Bowie: Dancing Out in Space (The Next Day)
9. The Clash: I’m So Bored with the USA (The Clash)
10. Billy Bragg: There Will be a Reckoning (Tooth and Nail)
11. Kurt Vile: Snowflakes Are Dancing (Waking on a Pretty Daze)
12. Bethesda: Go (The Reunion)
13. Traffic: Paper Sun (The Island Story 1962-1992)
14. Bruce Springsteen: Racing in the Street ’78 (The Promise)
16. Mia Dyson: When the Moment Comes (The Moment)
17. MC5: Shakin’ Street (Back in the USA)
18. Dar Williams: What Do You Hear in These Sounds? (End of the Summer)
19. The Crackling: The Crackling (Mary Magdalene)
20. Edward Sharpe and the Magnetic Zeros: Wooden Indian (The Music Is You: A Tribute to John Denver)
21. Statler Brothers: Flowers on the Wall (Pop Classics of the 60s)
22. The Buttercream Gang: Say My Crimes (Oh Brother)
23. Dirty Fences: All I Want (Too High to Kross)
24. Enemy UK: Gimme the Sign (Streets in the Sky)
25. Orchestral Manoeuvres in the Dark: Night Cafe (English Electric)
26. The Flaming Lips: Look …The Sun Rising (The Terror)
27. Temples: Shelter Song (Echoes: A Compendium of Modern Psychedelia)
28. The Computers: Love Triangles, Hate Squares (Love Triangles, Hate Squares)
29. Depeche Mode: My Little Universe (Delta Machine)
30. Young Statues: Ghost Passenger (Age Isn’t Ours)
31. Dailey and Vincent: Close By (Brothers of the Highway)
32. Basics: Just Hold On (Ingredients)
The Devin Townsend Project- Effervescent!
The Devin Townsend Project- True North
Protest the Hero- Wretch
Devin Townsend (feat. Floor Jansen)- Pandemic
Between the Buried and Me- Naked by the Computer
Baroness- Take My Bones Away
Neurosis- Under the Surface
BREE BREE GORR GORR
The Black Dahlia Murder- Virally Yours
Mouth for War-Pantera
Washington is Next-Megadeth
13 angels -Corrosion of Conformity
Down in a Hole-Alice in Chains
Clean My Wounds- Corrosion of Conformity